Almost every home has different kinds of electrical appliances that help the homeowner in many ways.
Some of the most commonly used appliances are in areas such as:
- Bathrooms – which have water heaters,
- Rooms which may have air conditioning units room heaters depending on the weather conditions, and appliances such as vacuum cleaners
- Gardens and outdoor spaces which may need lawnmowers.
While this is just an indicative list, one electric appliance that probably no house owner can do without is a water heater. Having a steady supply of hot water can go a long way in making it easier to take a shower and even to wash up utensils.
Therefore, keeping a water heater in good working condition is a useful thing to do. But, just as any other electric appliances, a water heater can also develop a few specific problems. Undertaking water heater repair is a rather common thing that a house owner must do.
Here are a few things that you can keep in mind before going in for effective water heater repair.
What goes into the repair work?
Interestingly, statistics for the year 2013 reveals that the average cost as far as water heater repair is concerned, can vary between $106 and $111 depending on the type and size of water heater.
Some of the aspects that go into water heater repair are:
- Cost of labor – which will vary depending on the State that you live in,
- The extent of repair work that must be undertaken,
- Material costs which will again vary depending on where you stay,
- The fact whether the water heater is still under warranty or guarantee.
Now, the average figure of water heater repair cost may indicate as to how much you can expect to shell out. However, it is extremely important to pay attention to the kind of services or the service provider that you retain. Ideally, you should look for certified and tested water heater repair mechanics or companies.
Getting price quotes
One surefire way of getting a really good idea about the costs involved in water heater repair is to ask for price quotes from multiple companies or mechanics. Tell them what the problem is and get a price quote for water heater repair.
This will give you a very good opportunity to compare and contrast price quotes from different companies and figure out which one delivers the maximum value for your money. Try and stay with licensed and certified service providers so that you do not end up damaging your water heater rather than repairing it.
Ask for a complete price quote
It is also useful for you to ask for a comprehensive price quote from your service provider. Such a price quote should include details on:
- Sales and other taxes that may be applicable,
- Services that they will provide and costs for the same. For instance, if the water heater repair work leaves a lot of debris around, then the contractor will also need to tell you whether he is going to clean it up and if so, at what cost.
- Pre-repair fees which may include inspection fees or site visits.